Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Amazing Tweet

I always feel the need to apologize each time I write a personal blog piece because I neglect this blog so much.  But it is what it is and as I've mentioned in previous posts I feel like I cheat on this blog with my little friend Twitter!  It's so much easier to put down snippets throughout my day of my happenings, thoughts, gripes, inspirations, etc. than to make/find the time to write consistent blog pieces.  As my friend Kim Becker told me, your blog is like a travel scrapbook.  Yes, it seems I only write posts about our trips.  Well, guess it's better than nothing and at least I'll have a nice compilation for my family because heaven knows I won't be doing any physical scrabooking of ANY sort.  And besides I can only aspire to write a blog as witty and funny as the aforementioned Mrs. Becker, so why even try? But I digress...

So speaking of my dear friend Twitter, today I read a really amazing tweet from actress, author, humanitarian Ashley Judd.  This is the text of her tweet, forgive the title of the linked post:

@AshleyJudd: a thoughtful read - how those of us w/ mental illness are depicted in relationships, from @BitchMedia: http://bit.ly/oj6i7o


I was really touched by the phrase "those of us w/mental illness".  Mental illness is near and dear to my heart so I am always impressed when a celebrity lends their "name" if you will to the cause and hopefully the greater goal of erasing stigmatism.  I wish more work was being done now and wish more work had been done in the past so people like my Mother who have suffered with the stigma of being "crazy" could've been embraced more along their journey.  Their are more "crazy" people out there that I'm sure most would care to admit and if there were less stigma then certainly more would come forward and seek help.  My husband likes to say the only difference betweem his family and mine is that mine are diagnosed!  Well to an extent that's true and more prevalant than most realize.

So kudos today to Ms. Judd for sending that tweet.  You made one person proud today and I hope made many others think about their own lives and loved ones with your statement. 

Also, that tweet reminded me that I have not yet read Ashley Judd's book All That is Bitter and Sweet so it's now downloaded to my iPad and I'm ready to curl up and get started reading it.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I had a great time reading your website. Can I contact you through email?. Please email me back.

    Regards,

    Angela
    angelabrooks741 gmail.com

    ReplyDelete